View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Former Senior Member

Vehicle: 95
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

I've thought about the large chain stores of the present day and GTY makes a point that I've considered in the past.

In the early years of my life I started working at an auto parts store in Detroit at the corner of 8 mile and Schoener called "Northeastern Auto Supply". I've also worked at a few other independents and micro-chains years ago.

The newer chain/franchise stores seem to have lost the experience, personal service, and familiarity that once seemed to be the norm. To this day I have to walk in and ask for a fuel filter for a '72 Volkswagen Beetle if I want a multi-sized inlet/outlet in-line fuel filter that will fit anything. I went to the local chain the other day and asked for a lower hose, and I got...what kind of vehicle?

Imagine the look on the clerks face when I said: A 78 Asplundh Whisper Chipper.

Then I had to revamp my request to a '73 Ford F150 300 6 cyl.

And lo-and-behold...I got a lower hose.

It just seems that without the computer, they'd be lost. I still remember part numbers for the common parts. All this technology seems to be dumbing down society. I used to remember every phone number I had, now I just push a button.