View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT QC 4x4
Color: Mineral grey
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:109
Simple guy will become famous soon enoughSimple guy will become famous soon enough
Default My Wheel Arch Repair.

Let's start this off with I am a tech not a body guy. I have no training in body or metal work. This is how I personally with my own thought processes have figured to repair my rusted through wheel wells. I have concluded that the space between the inner fender and the bedside is too small therefore collecting dirt, sand, mud, water and road salt. This sits and leads to the massive rust holes I had. I decided to not use preformed patch panels which would leave me setup for the same outcome. I will say that these had previously been repaired with patch panels by a previous owner. I bought flat aluminized steel from Eastwood and cut/shaped my own fenders to make a wider drainage channel. The point of this is entire repair is function over form, I do not have a show truck.

Both sides were packed with sand, mud, dirt and was fairly wet even though it hasn't been driven in rain for weeks.

I used a ball peen hammer and a screw driver to assess the rust damage. I realized at this point you can see fiberglass on the inner fender. I know these had been repaired with preformed patch panels because someone did a crappy bondo/sanding/paint job.

I used a ball peen hammer and a screw driver to assess the rust damage.

Driverside cutout and wire wheeled. Notice the gaping hole in the inner fender that will be patched.

This is the passenger side cut out and wire wheeled all of the rust.

This is a piece of wheel arch formed. The plastidip is sprayed to mark the line to cut.

This is the driverside wheel arch ready to be tack welded and final fitment/forming

I will update tomorrow after welding with pictures of plug welded backer plates and my fabbed panels, figured I'd start this or I'd have too many pictures to upload and wouldn't feel like doing it.