Thread: 1500-2500 swap.
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2000 Ram ORE 4x4 5.9L
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:55
Wh1t3nukle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbronxems View Post
Hi all, I dont post here often but I creep a lot. I was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to swap out a 1500 suspension for a 2500 suspension. My 94 1500 has a 3" body lift with a 5" skyjacker suspension lift. I was thinking about taking off the skyjacker and installing a 2500 suspension instead. My lift has been on for about 10 years, and Im thinking of making it a bit less wild. Any thoughts or experience with a similar issue?

Thanks, Andy...
Yes, this is a common swap. There are some particular differences 98 and newer, iirc. This is in the realm of control arm bolts and speed sensor that I recall. The top thing to work out though is for the rear leaf springs. half ton leafs are 2.5" wide while heavy duty trucks are 3". So your option there can be:

1. Cut perches off the rear axle, which would be a D60 or D70, and put new ones on for 2.5" leaf springs that you currently have.
2. Replace spring hangers on your half ton with those from 3/4 or 1 ton truck for the 3" springs and bolt up the axle.

New wheels would be needed, 8 lugs. If the axle you find are in pretty decent shape, then you may not have to dig into them to replace things. This can potentially be alot, however, your area and searching can get decent prices hub-to-hub, maybe $200-$500 axle. Most ppl do this swap for the added strength, aftermarket support, and ability to use them in offroad abuse. Goes back to how/why you want to use them. Who cares about the cost.