View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1970 Charger R/T
Rep:10
mnguy55 is on a distinguished road

The 8 speed was a late 2013 introduction but I have not heard of any problems with it and the trucks I drove with it worked great, better than the GM 6 speed for sure. Anyway there is no real history on how these will hold up.

If you get the Hemi be aware that you can't use gas with more than 10% ethanol. There is a push for a national mandate for 15% ethanol and I'm not sure what would happen then. You could void the engine warranty I suppose by burning e15. Also, the Hemi is supposed to run on 89 octane but a lot of people report it runs fine on 87.

For 2014 Ram is using a new somewhat controversial AC refrigerant. It will be some time before regular AC shops are able to service it. If something goes wrong with the AC just after the 3 year warranty you could be stuck with an expensive dealer only repair.

I'm going to order either a 2014 Silverado or a Ram. The 2014 Silverado is much improved over the 2013. I actually tried twice to buy a 2013 Ram a few weeks ago and after selling me the truck the dealer later found it was sold to someone else (both trucks were at a different dealer).

I really like the Ram but the new Silverado is pretty nice too. I've always been a Chrysler guy at heart and have a old Charger but I've mostly owned older GM trucks as daily drivers.