Old 09-27-2013, 11:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
johnny248 is on a distinguished road

I'm sure that emissions do have something to do with. A hotter engine generally runs more efficiently than a colder engine. Not to mention that things like oil, trans fluid, diff fluid, p/s fluid, etc are designed to run hotter and there is less drag=higher efficiency when driving. I won't argue with the idea that you might be able to pull more hp out of the engine by keeping it cooler with more timing etc, but one thing to remember is that the engine was designed to run at the temps that the engineers have it running at. There are a lot of hemi's out on the road with tons of miles on them running very reliably with the factory setups.

That being said, I figured that the 190deg is a good compromise between 203 and 180. I will allow the engine to run cooler but still allow for everything to heat up and run as it should. I don't know what oil temps look like in these engines with the 180 stats, but you want the oil to be hot enough to burn off contaminates and also be hot enough to run efficiently.

So I can't speak for power differences between the stats, but I can tell you what I've observed with the Stant 190 part # 48799.

Made in the USA
Looks nearly identical to the factory stat. The motor looks the same, the piston looks the same. The rubber piston sealing are is identical. Has the same notches as the OEM. Many of the markings are very similar. I would not be surprised at all of Stant is the OEM supplier.
Gasket looks identical except it is black instead of orange. (pos nitrile vs silicone maybe?)
Same 63mm, fits perfect.
Same giggle valve as oem
Maintains pretty much 190deg while maintaining speed. Sometimes it will hit 192 before doing its drop down count, but pretty much works just as the OEM but at a lower level.
Power and acceleration along with the same DS Trinity tune Ive been running does feel a little bit stronger than it did with the 203 stat. I don't have specific numbers but it feels like the power response is better.
I have not had any LT knock counts, and ST counts are down compared to before.

Engine warms up just as fast as it did before, everything is working just as it was but the coolant temps are down.

So far I am happy with it. A little piece of mind knowing that the engine is a little cooler and that I'm not getting any warm up codes or anything like that.

I would say this is a good mod/choice for anyone who may be on the fence about changing out to a 180.