Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 5.7 6spd
Trim Level: Express QC 6'4" bed
Color: Polar White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
turbohawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Everything I've ever had with an engine has always burned oil. From the briggs and straton lawn mower to the chevy s10 to the ram 1500 to the buell. I have never owned an import. Well that's not entirely true we had a chevy aveo(daewoo) and it also burned oil. Also, the bigger the engine the more it'll burn(more pistons/valves leave more room for oil to pass by to the combustion chamber). I've had friend's burn up their engine's in camrys, corrolas, santa fes, etc from never checking the oil. they drive for 10k miles and then call me because it's ticking and when I check the oil it doesn't even register on the dipstick. Just my experiences...
I hear ya Sean...but I'm not THAT lucky, in fact, if there is a problem with a product, I will GET the ONE that is the defect. So...I have been elated since finding Kawasaki motorcycles, Nissan autos, and even Toyota don't come with this "curse" as I've experienced with ALL the domestics I've owned. ALL the domestics and even the Euro brands needed oil top up between changes but NONE of the Jap brands I mentioned (I won't own Honda...that's a long story) ever need anything that I've been spoiled and forgot that there are still motors being built that do require the "two stroke" mixture...lol.

So far, only 9k miles, I'm loving this Ram more than any of the Jap trucks and I PRAY that this is the quality built vehicle that I think it is so far. As for my perceived oil use it dawned on me after starting this thread that I did not confirm the oil level before I drove off the dealership so they could have left me 1/2 qt short from the get-go. But I do know that 1/2 qt went "missing" on the oil in the engine from the factory by the first oil change at approx 4k miles but I won't count that in the official logs since that is the very first time with ALL the vehicles I've owned that I hadn't changed the original oil prior to attaining the first 1000 miles. A little oil loss during break-in isn't unreasonable after all.

To this day my currently owned 1997 Nissan and 2003 Toyota have never needed a drop of oil between changes, and we're talking six figure mileages on these motors now. My 2009 Kawasaki Concour 14 has 50000k miles on it now and it is the same way. I used to use synthetics in the past but the Nissan has never had anything but "regular" dino oil and it has the most miles. I have to say that all my previous models of these same brands were precisely the same in regards to oil use: none perceivable.