View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubble View Post
Should I change oil every 5000 km's, or 3000 miles for the americans, or should I go off the Oil Life Monitoring system?
We just had this debate in another thread but I'll recap

If you read through the manual it doesn't really stipulate (other than not going over 10k without a change) what the frequency should be. Talking with my dealership at my last oil change a couple of weeks ago the service writer said follow the truck monitoring system as it takes into account all the factors like idle time, drive time, towing...you get the idea.
I'm an ex-mechanic and I still run by the dated rules of every 5000km on fossil oil and every 10k on synthetic. However with todays advances in motor oil the old 5 and 10 are actually outdated and overkill.
So I guess the simplified answer is to follow the on board monitoring system but never go over 10k without changing the oil.

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.