Old 10-02-2013, 03:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Reg. Cab/Bed 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:70
Lil Black 4x4 Hemi will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Lil Black 4x4 Hemi Send a message via Yahoo to Lil Black 4x4 Hemi
Default Thinking of getting a CTD

So I'm a hemi lover through and through. I think I have gas in my veins and I love the sound of a gas V8 winding up.....that said I'm feeling like my next truck will be a 3/4 ton. With Chrysler really drawing a line in the sand of trucks that are mom-mobiles and trucks that work I'm kind of in a weird spot because it's my daily driver, BUT it pulls cows and a flat bed and hauls wood etc....nothing that would requires a CTD though. I'm kind of hoping the 6.4 hemi will solve my problem but I'm not feeling optimistic.

It was a no-brainer till yesterday when I finally drove a Power Wagon and was underwhelmed with the performance. The rear end is low but I guess the frame is too heavy and it just doesn't roll like I think it should. My 08 although being significantly lighter has higher gears so I figured I'd get about the same "seat-of-the-pants" feeling. Boy was I WRONG!

I drove a CTD about 3 weeks ago and wasn't exactly thrilled either, but liked it better than the PW. I felt like there was a ton of turbo lag and that pulling out onto the street that the 800 ft lbs must be on out to lunch until I was already running a good clip. Imagine my surprise to see that I had a 3.42 rear end and there are no options. This is problematic to me because the truck will get 35s ASAP and I know it's just going to feel more sluggish after that. So I'm thinking about maybe a manual if I go the CTD route? Was it all a break-in issue? Are the motors that bogged down with emissions crap? To say I'm scared to death to delete is an understatement, CAI and an exhaust are easy bolt-ons I'd do. I'll also add that a $7700-$8200 option makes me wanna puke. Did you guys get extra good deals because there are Cummins always on the lot?

We all know that mileage isn't the first priority but if it isn't going to be high teens unloaded Im going to have problems justifying it. All that said, I hate to admit it but if Chrysler is going to keep the current ring gear line up they need to re-gear their 6 speeds to have a few lower ratios like.....<gasp> Ford.

Thanks in advance!

Luke
K&N Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Rancho RS5000s, TRUXXX Leveling Kit, Heavy Duty Towing Shackles, Recon Smoked Cab Lights, Chrome Fender Flares, Stainless Door-sills, Chrome Door Trim, Atturo Trail Blade 35x12.50R20, METAL Grille Inserts.

Last edited by Lil Black 4x4 Hemi; 10-02-2013 at 04:01 AM.
Sponsored links