Vehicle: 2007 Dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: none
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:10
NamesJames is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroV61500 View Post
This is my first ram and I am looking to just make a little more power than comes stock... Im running the 3.7 v6 and I just wondered what either bolt on or tune jobs I could do that would get me where i wanted to be.
I know there are mods like the fastman throttle body upgrade, or custom cold air intake, gears, new y pipe, headers and a better flowing muffler and of course the higher flowing cats. I actually found something on youtube i havent seen on the forums though. May not be the prettiest thing, but any vehicle can benefit from it. basically you make a ram air intake setup on the truck. Lowes or Home depot sells all the supplies you'd need and it costs under $30-40 depending on how much you buy. I used the vent piece you would use in the floor of a house and mounted it behind my front bumper but where the cooler wind would catch in it. Then used the stronger flex tubing (4'') and routed it to my stock breather box. Its not air tight right now as i just done it a few days ago and its been raining since. But it still definetly routes the cooler air into the filter. I won't say its a huge gain and i try not to let little mods get to my head too much. But everyone knows cooler air brings more power in the combustion chamber, so theres no argument there. Ive driven this in the rain today and on the interstate yesterday for 40 miles. So far so good. My truck has the 3.7 v6 with the 6 speed. Before doing this mod my truck would just hold speed in the overdrive (6th) gear. Now it gains speed.. slowly, but its a slight difference. For the money spent doing this, im not gonna down it. Its not the prettiest thing, but the tubing can be painted and its pretty strong. I'm sure paired with a cold air intake, this mod would only work better. And of course an opened exhaust. I just thought i'd chime in. My 3.7 wasn't treated the best by the guy i got it from. New transmission, plugs, hood, and front bumper, and this mod later.. i feel better about it. Not a power house, but I can tell the engine liked this. **no negative effects driving in the rain btw*