Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:62
sunshdw will become famous soon enough
Default My towing impressions and issues

Hey everyone, I wanted to throw out a few things I've been running into while towing my trailer:
My trailer is a 2013 Nash 23d and has a weight of 5300ish with a full fresh water tank
My 10 years towing experience is mostly 1 ton diesel truck with 5th wheels and bumper pull and a few diesel pusher motorhomes with car/bike trailers, so I'm not a newb but I don't have all the experience in the world

1) It seems my truck will not shift out of 4th gear and stay in 5th. As you can see in the picture I had just passed someone getting on the freeway and I decided to try and stay at that speed to see if it would shift into 5th and maybe hold it........well if I let off the pedal it did and as I slowly rolled back into it right back to 4th it went. I've tried to get it to stay in 5th at speeds of 75 down to 55. This was going on even before I bought the Diablo tuner but I've tried on the stock 91 performance tune and the white lightning 91oct tune.
I know that going up a slight hill would answer my own question but to give you guys an indication of the terrain, I've driven the same road unloaded and the MDS is on 90% of the drive.

2) With the above issue, if I got 200 miles to a tank while towing I'd really be shocked. I know the MPG's fall into the toilet while towing but I'm totally stoked if I can sit at 10mpg's on a 55mph 2 lane highway. I really was hoping the upgrades in my sig would have helped some as well as having the 3.92 gears.

3) Other wise I really love my truck!!!!

JJ
2012 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi
2013 Nash 23D RV
2003 600RR Race Bike
K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Diablo W/WL tuning, CC
Sponsored links