Old 10-08-2013, 04:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:69
kerton will become famous soon enough

"Anywayz, I was looking, and the hp is the same, just the torque difference is high between stock trucks. Howz that possible?"

You gotta learn what exactly torque and HP are, and how they are related. You're not alone. I think this is the most misunderstood duo among truck enthusiasts. Lemme see if I can explain it fast and easy:

HP is the POWER that your engine can produce, which varies at different RPM, and maxes out at the peak of the HP curve which is below the redline. At that RPM, your engine is capable of doing the most work - be it climbing a hill, accelerating, PTO, or whatever.

Torque is (very basically) your POWER *per revolution*. If your vehicle can produce a fair amount of power at low RPMs, it will have good torque.

High torque is what will break your tranny. That's the force that's twisting it, not high HP. At peak HP, say 3000 rpm, your engine is cranking out max POWER to the wheels, but the power is being spread across many rotations, so torque is lower. Therefore, Dodge didn't need to limit the engine's HP, but they did need to limit its torque.

BTW, here is a small consolation: despite that you (and I, with my 2011 Cummins auto) only have the 650 max foot pounds of torque, we actually have just about the flattest torque curve of anyone out there...because we're being governed to 650. That means we have access to our full torque at just about any rpm. It actually feels pretty good to drive. Now, of course, the guys with 800 have got more, but their torque curves are not flat like ours. They peak to 800 at a specific rpm only, and in fact, spend much of the rpm chart at torque below 800 and closer to us. Small consolation, as I said.