Old 10-08-2013, 07:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
Scott H is on a distinguished road

I've been driving mine a long time now with the smell while waiting for a replacement truck, and the odor hasn't stayed in the interior that I can tell, but I do leave the garage door open until the truck has cooled down. When enclosed in the garage while hot everything smells, inside and out.

The problem is that even after replacing the hoses, the engine compartment still radiates the smell when hot. I can smell it fifty feet away if the wind is right. Whether the plastics in the engine compartment picked up the smell, or if it is some other issue, I don't know.

It has occurred to me that perhaps it is something to do with the active grill shutters? I can't imagine how but the radiator area seems to reek the most and 2013 is the first year with the shutters.

A friend of mine with the same truck also has the odor. His however, has only a faint odor at the same mileage as mine had when the smell was intolerable.

I am curious to find out what the real cause is and hope that Chrysler will someday go beyond "it's a known issue" and give a full explanation. Not holding my breath though. (except when too close to my truck!)