Old 10-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
kerton will become famous soon enough
Default Good Mount. Too Bad About Patent Application

Nice mount, provides a solid universal disk in the right place, with little sacrifice, and no drilling. I'd recommend people who buy your mount work with a phone holder like this one:

But you said that took you 1.5 years to develop, and that a patent app was filed. You lost me there, sorry. First, did that really take 1.5 years? What you've got is a flat piece of metal with two screw holes, and a disk. Was the extra time part of going to mass production or something? And while a neat product, that is not an "invention". It's the kind of obvious thing that I whip outta my shop in one night, all on my own. And I'm not even all that skilled. That means it's rather obvious to someone "skilled in the art", and not patent worthy, IMHO. What is it about it that is so unique and novel? Am I missing something? That said, they'll probably give you one, because that's how the Patent Office gets their money.

Don't get me wrong. I like the product, and I'd much rather pay $24 than have to muck around the shop all night making an uglier version of same. I just don't agree with government-endorsed monopolies on the obvious. I wish the law of the land required companies to attack the market by building great products and competing well, not by locking out competitors.

I understand you're just playing by the rules of the game, as they are. I don't hate the player, just the game.
2011 Ram 2500 Laramie, Cummins 650 ft-lb, 4x4, Short Bed, 4.1 axle with 295/75R17