View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1464
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

Okay gang.. finally got some forward momentum on my USB ports issue today. I went in to have the dealership install the new updates for the software and Gracenotes made available 9/2/13. This is what happened....

(bear with me through this as I am not very good at repeating technical jargon..)

They connected my truck or radio to some computer. The computer scanned the VIN and displayed a message to the tune of "all available correspondence updates currently installed".. or something. Meaning, the radio does not recognize that the updates for the software and GraceNotes dated and released 9/2/13 as available.

Turns out that my loooooong time battle (started in February!) over the USB ports not working is most likely causing (according to the techs) the radio to not recognize or allow any updates.

As of 30 minutes ago, they have submitted a request for a new radio under warranty. They say it usually takes around 1 week to receive the new unit (apparently this is not the first time they have had to order new radios) and that I will be contacted once it arrives and then they will spend about an hour switching the defunct for the new.

THEN, we will try to install these updates (if the new unit arrives without them pre-installed). They suggested not wasting money on buying CDs or DVDs and trying to install these updates myself as it is highly unlikely that they will work.

Also, depending on the software installed on the new unit, they will then order the new Navteq update available as well. My current, defunct unit has version 4.2.1 installed and they said that makes it eligible for this update. However, they are holding off until the new unit arrives.

All in all, a positive day at the dealership. I didn't get the updates installed but I did get a few steps closer to closure on the USB ports ordeal. And a new radio unit is on its way. Not many complaints here, for now. (Except for I wish they could swap it and get me a 430N instead.. but it seems that is a swap I will have to accomplish on my own as they said as much as they would love to do that for me.. Chrysler LLC is extremely strict about replacements.)