View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:427
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

A bad lifter is very rare, but I had one fail at 185,000 miles on my 05. It would make a fairly loud tap ever second at idle and mine threw a cyl #8 misfire. I checked plugs in that cylinder= ok, next bore scoped cylinder #8 perfect. Next removed intake manifold, and passenger side head after draining cooling system and removing radiator. You have to buy the set of lifters , not all of them, but 4 and the plastic retainer. Your cam shaft will be toast as well. I already had a sidewinder cam, it was damaged, so I replaced with a spartan + from Inertia. It's a pretty hot cam, but I like it. You might find a used cam on this or other mopar forums. I bought 2 used sidewinders on LX forums. You can also use a SRT8 cam for a 6.1 hemi, but you will need a Crowler adjustable cam kit. Hope it's exhaust leak, but the cyl misfire sounds like a lifter. Make sure you get it cheap enough to justify the extra work. Figure 8-10 hours labor, a cam(up to $475) head bolts, head gasket, SRT8 valve springs and push rods if you upgrade cam,new lifters, etc.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, MagHytec 68RE pan,and differential cover, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf.Line-X Bedliner,GY Armortracs, 210,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW

Last edited by hydrex; 10-12-2013 at 02:24 PM.