Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 dodge ram 1500 5.9 v8
Trim Level: laramie
Color: green
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
86Tanner is on a distinguished road
Default Automatic transmission problems

I have a '97 ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.9 v8.

truck has a 4" lift, power programmer, exhaust and intake. other than that its pretty stock.

The other day I was towing an empty trailer and on the free way and heard some banging noises. I pulled over to check things out, no popped tires, leaking fluid etc. so i got back in the truck to continue driving. started the engine just fine, when i went to accelerate, the truck started moving but as soon as i gave a little bit of gas the truck jerked to a halt and stalled the engine. i was able to get the truck to a parking lot off a free way exit by giving the truck nearly no throttle input and driving down the shoulder. In the parking lot i plugged in my power programmer to scan codes.

These are the codes I got

-PO441
-PO748
-PO753
-PO743

I then programed my ECU back to stock but it didn't make a difference. I ended up driving the truck home nearly idling the whole way. On the way home sometimes it felt like the transmission would fall into neutral, and make a quite but fast clacking noise. funny thing is when i was parking the trailer at my house i put the truck into 4x4 because of mud, and the problem seemed to go away. By the way I tried driving the truck with the trailer detached in the parking lot off the free way, but reducing the load on the truck didn't make any difference.

Any ideas where i should start with trying to fix this?

I'm new to trucks and auto transmissions as well, but Im good with mechanical work, I come from old RWD toyotas.

I could start diagnostics on my own but i figured i might be able to save myself some time an headache with your guys input.

Thank you very much!

Tanner
Sponsored links