Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:10
silvertoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun View Post
There are several legitimate articles out there on the reason for the delay. It seems that when VM did the calibrations for the engine, they did not take into account the lower quality of diesel fuel in the USA which then caused emissions problems. By lower quality, the Cetane levels here vary greatly across the country unlike in Europe where it has to meet a tighter standard. The issue then caused the need to recalibrate to meet emission standards which put the assembly line on hold until a solution was approved by Chrysler. It has since restarted but the GC is first in line to receive the engines.
I'm sure there was some issue but not catching something so major and obvious as fuel differences seems unlikely. That's almost as big as 50/60hz between the US and well.... most everywhere else. At least I hope not, otherwise, I'm going to lose some serious faith in their engineering department(s). I'm thinking they've had a few glitches in the first pre-production batch that they ran back in September for QA purposes (the same ones making the car magazine circuit), and they're trying to make sure they've got these and any other as yet undiscovered glitches out of the system before they release them onto the general forum-happy public to avoid such popular title posts as "my-RAM-ED-is-DOA".