Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
runningfork is on a distinguished road
Smile 2009 Ram 1500 w/4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinmc15 View Post
Pushed my 1500 to the max this weekend towing a 24 ft enclosed trailer. My parents sold their home in Los Angeles and are retiring in Saint George UT, so I offered to rent a trailer and move them. After living in their home for close to 30 years there was a lot of stuff to move (piano, washer/dryer, tvs, bedroom sets, etc). The trailer itself weighs in at about 3k lbs and we loaded about 7k lbs worth of stuff, putting it slightly above my Rams listed towing capacity.

Here are the specs on my Ram: 2009 1500 TRX 4, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92s, Rancho 4 inch lift, 35 inch ATs, airlift air bags, tekonsha primus brake controller. The listed towing capacity is 8,500 lbs.

Overall I was very impressed with how the Ram performed. I averaged 9 mpg when fully loaded and could maintain 65 mph going up any grade, and there were some long 6% grades along the route. The only thing slowing me down was the trans temp, it would get up to 230 degrees while climbing and then drop down to about 180 when cruising. Considering the outside temp was over 90 degrees I don't thing that was too bad.

I did not have an equalizer hitch or sway bars but never once did the trailer feel out of control, even with some pretty good wind gusts. The air bags reduced the squat considerably and kept the truck feeling planted. The brake controller worked flawlessly so I never felt the trailer pushing the truck while braking. The tow mirrors flipped out helped immensely when trying to change lanes and backing into driveways.

If I had to do this type of towing regularly a cummins would be my truck of choice but the 1500 is definitely capable of doing the job.

Here are some pics of the setup.

Great report! I am new to this site so forgive my inexperience with how to ask a question - I am trying to find the maximum towing weight for my 2009 ram 1500 with 4.7 V8 - my wife and I want to buy a travel trailer and are confused about the towing capacity - also what could I add to my truck that would make towing a travel trailer easier on the vehicle. We are considering a TT with an empty weight of 6676 lbs - any opinion if this is too heavy for our truck? thanks for the help