Old 10-29-2013, 11:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
97mopar318 is on a distinguished road
Default temperature gauge giving faulty reading, to high!

This is my first post, I usually start by giving info about myself but I am out of ideas and this problem still exist.

I am having a problem with my coolant temperature gauge in my 97 dodge ram 4x4 with a 5.2. My gauge reads that the truck is running at the last 0 in 200 about 3/4 of the gauge, but the truck is not running hot at all. I have replaced everything with brand new parts this has been a problem when I bought the truck 4 years ago. I have installed new water pump, radiator, water outlet, thermostat 3 times 2 were 180 degree and 1 195 degree, new hoses, radiator cap and the heater core was replaced by a local shop by the previous owner. Also I have replaced the coolant temp sensor for the computer as well as the temp switch for the gauge 2 times. The gauge reads currently with the 195 thermostat about 230 but when checked by a hand held temp gun shows the motor is at about 185-197 and with a scan tool the computer shows anywhere between 189-192. As instructed by a local shop I checked the gauge by unplugging it and it dropped to 0 as if the key was off then grounded the wire and it pegs out past the gauge numbers. I also dropped it off at the shop and they said everything seems to be functioning correctly but that it just reads hot. Everything is original to the truck accept the fore mentioned parts and the gauge cluster was replaced with one out of an identical 96 ram, the gauge was reading wrong with the original cluster as well.
Sponsored links