Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Diesel
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Black
Rep:52
pilotalex will become famous soon enough
Default HID Harness is not needed..

Alright,

Thought I would share with most of you guys wanting to upgrade to HID headlights.

Learn form my mistakes.

I never owned a north american car always had imports. Most of them had the can bus systems which is electrical system used to monitor if your lights were out. When this system was introduced HID kits started to go down because lots of people started to get hyper flash, errors that lights are out, sometimes one light turns on one light turns off..

Reading this was a issue on the ram ( 2013 Projector ones) I looked at what other members suggested. 250-300.00 HID kits..... I ended up buying one.

Install was easy but issues i started having was annoying not to mention I HATE having wires in the engine compartment.

I did a small research and found these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PC-XENON-HI...916f05&vxp=mtr

you can get them for even 5.00 a piece. They go in between your ballast and bulb. Installed them in the 200.00 now kit which i had to pay extra for the so called plug and play harness that was acting up, and sure enough no messages and no issues. I have been running them since may and no issues.

Further to investigate the kit i had were "digital ballast" so I wanted to see if it would work on the cheap antic 35.00 HID kits on ebay. I ended up picking up 9006 HID kit for the fogs. Sure enough with the cancellers they worked.

Now if you are going to go even one step further you could do what I did and that is buy CANBUS FREE HID ballast and pay 200.00 you can plug and play.

I took mine one step further and went with a OEM BMW system and a FXR projector swap. The difference between the OEM halogen projector with a kit to FXR and a d2s OEM system is night and day. Of course now we are talking closer to the 600-700.00 Range and baking headlight open.

Moral.
If anyone is telling you to buy a 200.00 HID kit please send me 200.00 to my paypal and then I will send you a kit that I bought for 60.00 with cancellers. And you will be amazed and happy.

Disclaimer.
The only time you do need the harness is if your lights are H4 or H13 when they serve as a low/high beam. You will loose the high beam. Fortunately are trucks are not like that. We have separate bulbs. Oh and for the projector headlights there is a little plate that flips opens internally and lets the light shine further out. .
Sponsored links