View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 01:50 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDryver53 View Post
Hi, I recently obtained a 2000 Dodge Ram !500. Got it cheap and knew it had some minor mechanical issues, (alignment,brakes) but I also found out the power steering has a problem. Seems as if the "boot" has come loose and the steering fluid is leaking from there. Is there a way to "re-seat" the boot, or am I going to be purchasing a replacement lower column?
Honestly, I don't know. And I wouldn't even start to guess unless I could inspect the vehicle. With that being said, here is my take on "the leak" and "the boot". CV (constant velocity) shafts have "boots" around them to keep the grease that's packed in them from flying off. The boot contains the grease, however, the grease is just sitting there, it is not pressurized. In a power steering system, the power steering fluid is a contained in a high pressure system, so I would think that the boot is just a dust cover and does not provide any containment of the fluid. So, more than likely, you've got a leak in your system, it just happens to be in the area of the boot.