View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram, Quad Cab
Trim Level: ST with combo packag
Color: white
Rep:136
Dancianne will become famous soon enoughDancianne will become famous soon enough
Default Don't upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcscott View Post
Well you spent all your time and not to mention the money to get your truck the way you want. You said you only pull a smaller trailer with your 4.7L.

If you just "want" I think you will look back and think "why did I do this". You can save the money for something else or better yet save the money for retirement so you can have a enjoyable retirement and a new truck.

I am retired and if you think money goes fast now, try living on a fixed income and buy something new and still pay your monthly bills. The government doesn't have your back so put some money away now so you have some later. JMHO.
Wise advice gcscott ! Money has a way of just slipping away during our lives for so many things we don't really need. To Detroit, here are some additional reasons to pass on trading:
1. You know your present truck well and are happy with it, a 2010 will obviously be a used one which you may or may not know much about it's past history and care.
2. It would be my guess that your insurance and property tax will increase somewhat on the 2010, adding to the overall cost of ownership.
3. Many of us never get quite what our present vehicles are truly worth when we trade. Think about much you have already invested to get your '08 just like you want it to be,...can you hope to recover that money? And would you have to start all over with similar mods on the 2010, again more money?
4. If indeed you are still bound and determined to trade, consider a new one instead. Yes I know that would mean still higher costs, but this is the time of year that dealerships are offering huge discounts and low or zero interest rate financing, plus you'd have a brand new warranty, and no problems for a long time. Often used trucks are over priced to buy, but this not necessarily true of trade in value given.
5. gcscott gave you truly excellent advice about keeping your money for more important things down the road. The future is always uncertain, jobs, health, the economy, family or lifestyle changes, and for certain the biggie,...retirement. Wouldn't you rather see that money in your banking account? And to quote financial guru, Suze Orman, "...always keep a minimum of 6-8 months cash reserves to handle emergencies".