Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Quad Cab 4x4
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:45
Power Wagon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrken View Post
I just got back from 6hours of towing my 3200lb Mach 1 on a 1000lb open trailer behind my 2011 Hemi Sport. I nailed the tongue weight and had no bounce or sway on the entire trip; basically I didn't know it was even back there.

The brake controller worked flawlessly. With the 7-plug connector hooked up, the display reads 5.0 all the time, unless I am using the brakes. Then proportionate to how hard I am applying the brakes, it reads 10, 20, 30, etc. I had one incident on a busy road where I was probably lucky to have it- I was in traffic and something caught my eye to the right... when I looked back, the car in front of me was stopping (for no reason I will ever be aware of), and I really did have to slam on the brakes. It could have been a different situation without the trailer being braked, and immediately, and proportionally.

I tested the manual lever on the highway and it sure does brake the trailer- you would only use this if you were looking to arrest some trailer sway by braking the trailer without using the Ram's brakes. But it's a good test to see that it all works, and that it won't throw the trailer into a sway on it's own.

I don't see why I would pay even $5 for the EVIC flash. I'm not even clear on what it get you- a row in the message center that I always leave off except to check tire pressure and temps?

With regard to your last paragraph, the EVIC flash, my '13 RAM manual says the EVIC would be used in conjunction with the brake controller to obtain 4 different options : light electric; heavy electric; light electric over hydraulic; heavy electric over hydraulic. So if the EVIC is not flashed, would the system be in "light electric" by default ?

I see your post is a little dated, but I was wondering the same thing about flashing the EVIC. I'm curious if you ever found the answer ?