Old 12-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:20
dalboa is on a distinguished road

Is your truck a 4x4? Standard or Auto trans?
I've recently discovered that a nice design feature of the Dodge trucks is that you can easily remove the radiator, the hood support crossbeam, trans cooling radiator, and there you are staring at the entire front of the engine & with your two feet planted on the ground! How can you beat that for easy access to a cam job? I removed the engine without even taking the hood off the truck. Love their design from that aspect. Course you wouldn't need to take the engine out for a cam job so all the better for you.
You'll rotate the engine to TDC compression on #1 then begin tearing down the accessories on the front of engine, pull the harmonic balancer and remove the timing cover plate. On a side note, my machinist gave me a tip for putting the harmonic balancer back. The bolt goes in deep enough that you can get a long bolt same threads and send it in, then once snug tighten the harmonic balancer into its position with a large washer and nut. Worked great for me but I had to weld together 2 bolts cause I couldn't find any in my area long enough as a one piece. Got my two bolts at Napa. Look for a download on the ram manual if you don't already have one. I got mine off the internet (free) and it's been a tremendous help.