View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:139
SShadow1974 will become famous soon enoughSShadow1974 will become famous soon enough
Default 1st time using a block heater... & Climate questions

So, this is my first vehicle with a block heater... Been through the forums found a few tips. Just want to make sure what I saw today is what I should expect.

At 5am this morning, it was -12c... Plugged in the block heater with a 12awg extension cord. Fast forwards to 8:30am. Hopped into truck, and took a look at the temps on the EVIC.
Coolant 20c
Oil 6c
(don't remember the others)
Is this expected temps after 3.5h of the block heater on? Obviously it's working, but is it working well?

So obviously had no issues starting the truck - but my main reason (beyond reducing wear and tear from cold start ups) was to hopefully get heat out of the heaters sooner... I usually have to drive (50km/h zone) at least 15 minutes before I start getting any amount of heat.

Is this normal behaviour?
By the time I dropped my wife off at work, coolant temp was above 80c and the oil was just above 60c but the air blowing out was luke warm.
It wasn't until the way back home (now probably 20min into the drive) that it started getting toasty in the cab.

Another question, I have a REAR defrost button... But my rear window does not look like it has elements through the glass like my previous two vehicles did. Is the REAR defrost button only turning on the heated mirrors? Or is there actually some type of defrost mechanism that I'm not seeing?

And final question (for now) is my Climate on my 8.4a has just a slider for warm and cold... Is there any way to update the system (probably through the dealer?) to have a selectable temperature (like specifying 20c?). I was hoping that the climate would have the AUTO function - but obviously there is some higher grade of 8.4a out there that has this?

Last edited by SShadow1974; 12-12-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Sponsored links