Old 12-30-2009, 01:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: sold it
Trim Level: ---
Color: ---
Rep:10
scubastevexj is on a distinguished road
Default Hello everyone, new here and got a transfer case question

So I bought my first ram (97 4x4 ext cab short bed 5.2 AT 1500) and did the normal 4x4 engage hi / lo turn wheels and get the bucking to show its all working... etc, I romped on it in a straight line and didn't notice anything when I bought it...

now its the first snow and I went out to play and in 4hi I got a big clank on hard accel.

I have sense did some testing and it only seems to happen in 4hi when the pedal is on the floor from takeoff around a corner, and in 4lo when I am in it at lease half throttle or better and it did make multiple clanks in this situation... so I started to check drive line stuff etc. It doesn't do it at all in 2wd. The truck is on 33 12.50 R15 procomp x terrain mt's and has a 3 in BODY lift, nothing really affecting the suspension that I can tell.

I had a friend who builds transmissions give it a listen and he said it sounds like the t case also. we think possibly the chain.

My question to you all experienced dodge folks is, do you think that the chain could be jumping? I have yet to lift it up and check the rear axle vs the front for chain slack, but anyone else have anything similar? I know the 4x4 is engaging as this last now the truck would sit n spin in 2wd...

I know its hard to explain sounds over the forum, but I am a pretty experienced DIY mechanic and it does not sound like a clunk from the u joints or diff /axles. I am pretty certain it is in the transfer case, but up to any suggestions you all could provide for diagnosing without a tear-down...

thanks for looking.
Sponsored links