Old 12-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:11
Saint1911 is on a distinguished road

Ok, here is where I make a few assumptions, To start with, I have to assume you are relatively young which means this is probably your only or at least primary vehicle. If that is the case you will want to keep reliability and some fuel economy. If you are looking for more of a hotrod muscle car aspect, the 318 engine is definitely one with potential. I would not reccomend going too extreme still. Once you get to the heavier cams, along with the considerations we already mentioned, you will also have to consider your timing curve, and your air fuel ratio and ensure they are both tuned properly to the profile of the cam you have. When you start building an engine with the heavy cams you will likely need to upgrade your ignition system and your fuel rails, fuel pump, and injectors not to mention having your ECU reprogrammed to adjust the fuel management and spark timing. All of this can get pretty expensive and if it isn't set up correctly will destroy a perfectly good motor.

I would still stick to a mid-range cam. You would still want to have a shop flash your ECU and some places will do that for free if you buy the cam from them. The good thing about a mid range cam is your stock ignition and fuel system can handle it. You will get good gains from it and later you can add the fuel system, ignition system, intake manifold or even better heads and get even more gains. All the while, your are keeping your truck reliable and keeping the initial cost down. I also still hold to what I said earlier, use google. It is your friend when you need to decide on something like this. Look at some builds of engines similar to yours.