View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 12:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Cummins 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:326
the persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toon tugr View Post
Most 5.9 pistons are not but fact is the 04.5-07 pistons are more prone to failure for several reasons.

Due to the design of the piston thanks to emissions those 3.5 years had the worst issue with failed engines mainly due to the piston design and material, one could fail an injector on an 03-04 and be way less prone to melt pistons like the 04.5-07, most engine builders use the 03-04 pistons when rebuilding CR engines and then puts in the 03-04 style injector nozzles as well to match the spay pattern to the bowl design plus the 03-04 injector is a 2 event injection versus the 3-5 events of the newer injectors.

Look at injector builders, most will not build an injector rated more than 100hp for the 04.5-07 for this exact reason, the pistons will not tolerate the heat.
Look at injector builders for 03-04 hp is unlimited because the pistons are better suited to the heat of extra fuel.

BBI makes the best of the best in CR injectors for the common rail now but they come with a healthy price as well.

read up on BBI here, lots of good CR injector info on the site. http://www.bigbanginjection.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Bigbanginjection

Also check out smarty resource forum for more CR injector info.

Filtration is the key to CR injector life with added 2 stroke oil helps the life as well.
Yes, the newer commonrail trucks (04.5+) have more injection events for emissions. But, there is a difference between saying the pistons are prone to failure stock, then saying they are a common failure point with larger injectors. There are tons of people running larger injectors with stock pistons on the 04.5+ trucks. My buddy with an 07 that made 690 HP on a stock bottom end. I still say that injectors sticking open are the leading cause of melting a piston on the common rail trucks. That, too much timing, or excessively high EGT's for a long period of time.

I agree with you, fuel filtration is important.