Old 01-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Power Wagon ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:87
Trail Whale will become famous soon enough

They are actually just barely under 2" front lift on our trucks so, pretty much right at level. Carli's spec of 3" lift is for non-Power Wagons. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I have been super busy and haven't had a chance to get on here.

My shocks- well, I kinda accidentally ripped the reservoir of one and damaged the other (both my rear shocks) so, not able to do anything about them right now. They are both at Carli right now being repaired. About $375 in damage. DOH!!!

You can see that they started getting a little wear on the first trail run (can also see my "massaged" skid plates, lol!):

This is the one that ended up getting busted (prior to bust):

But then came the damage, can see that the resi connector allen bolts snapped (tape on the shock is to keep contaminants out of the new hole since it was raining and muddy):

different shot:

Here's pretty much a summary of what happened (on a greasy clay mud and rock strewn trail):
Spectators and my spotter said:
"Take the easy path to the right!!!"
I said:
"NAW!!! I can TOTALLY make the hard line on the left side!!!"
Reservoir said:
"Ker-snap!"
Bystander picked it up and said:
"Hey, I think this belongs to you."

I did make the hard line though!!! (Aside from the reservoir)

So, two trips, three trails, one broken shock.

I was with a big group so, wasn't able to deal with it immediately. (Also, I'm not enamored with crawling under a truck that's sitting on a greasy clay slope!) it started POURING rain right when I went to take it off, got completely soaked!

(VERY grateful to the other Power Wagon guy in our club, he let me borrow some of his tools to disconnect the shock (I had some but couldn't find my breaker bar) he also let me borrow a strap to tie the shock up away from the axle, and got soaked as well helping me!) I told him about this site so, hopefully he'll join up!

I had to leave the shock attached at the top mount, couldn't bust the bolt loose, had to use a cheater bar at home. (I had my retorque done at the dealer since it was nasty weather at retorque time and I didn't feel like getting pneumonia in my driveway, lol! I think the guy went a little overboard, aren't shock mounts like 100ft-lbs?)

I taped the hole in the shock (the flow hole to the reservoir) shut to keep contaminants out, compressed the shock, and tied it to the frame for the ride home. On the highway, I honestly couldn't feel the difference between shock and none BUT, offroad, whoa! Hope to never have to run sans shock again!

Oh, on the subject of shocks (before I broke mine)- I now see how guys with Kings get themselves in trouble of not being able to resist launching their trucks!!! Puttering about, they are very firm but, when I started hitting whoops with a little speed, they soaked them up and begged for more!!! I was not about to go faster though, too much greasy clay and too many trees to the sides of a tight twisty trail! Didn't feel like totaling the truck in the name of shock testing, lol!!! I was impressed though!

WHEN I GET THE SHOCKS BACK, I WILL BE FLIPPING THEM THE OPPOSITE WAY!!! It'll take some fab work to make rom for them but, I do NOT want to have to fix broken shocks again!!!!

Last edited by Trail Whale; 01-01-2014 at 02:13 PM.