Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:33
ramrod9867 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
There is now a plastic shield released (that mounts in front of the shift lever on the transmission) to avoid snow packing on the shift lever. This same shield is production on 2014 6-speed trucks, and can be installed on earlier (2010-13 MY) trucks.

The shield is 68166463AA, and it is retained by a single screw (06508224AA) which gets screwed into one of the bosses on the side of the transmission case. The shield has a stub at the top which is inserted into one of the case machining ears, which also locates / retains the shield. List price for the shield is $6.60, and the screw is $1.20.

You'll have to order the shield (and likely the screw also), since there are only 24 shields in stock at the moment, and they're all at the national parts depot in Warren, MI. We have plenty of the screws, but they're almost all at a single national parts depot as well. So your dealer will need to order them.

The shield should bolt onto any gas engine RFE transmission, since the case machining (machining ear and boss) have been unchanged. But the shield is shaped to clear the shifter cable, and I'm not sure whether the location / mounting of the shifter cable has changed over the years. So you may wind up with interference (with the shifter cable) if you try to use it on earlier years.

However, to my knowledge, snow packing on the shift lever has primarily been an issue on 2012-2013 trucks, so I think most owners of earlier vehicles would not need to worry about it.

I should also note that (on 2012-13 trucks, at least) there is a clip holding the shifter cable, that apparently is mounted onto one of the trans bellhousing bolts. The new shield should include a clip feature to hold the cable, so you can remove and discard the bellhousing clip if it causes a problem when installing the shield.
WOW this is amazing stuff!!!!! Thanks for this information, I will attempt to fix this and reply back soon.