View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2004-2004 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 600 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 600lb/ft
Rep:63
BowHunter11 will become famous soon enough
Default Help with my 95 Neon

Not sure if this is the most proper place for this post, but here it goes.

I have a 1995 Plymouth Neon, bought it 2 years ago in March with about 60,000 original miles, and I'm the second owner. It was purchased for my girlfriend to drive and hasn't had too many problems for a car of its age. We've replaced the struts, the A/C condenser, and a few other minor things. Recently, its been having some issues and a mechanic at my local Dodge dealership can't seem to figure out what's wrong, as it is still having issues.

After driving the car for a little bit, maybe 10-15 minutes, the problem starts. Whenever you're actually driving, you don't notice it. But when you pull up to a stop sign or stop light, or anywhere to stop, while still in drive, the car seems like it has incredible power and tries to pull away even though I am standing on the brakes. Then once you put the car in park, it begins to rev up real high, then idle back down, then rev up again, then idle back down again. It will do that until you starting driving again or shut the car off. But if you just drive across town, say only a couple minutes, it doesn't do this. Only when the car seems to be warmed up enough. That's just my thoughts.

The mechanic at my local Dodge dealership told me it was the timing belt. So he replaced that and also the idler arm, I think, and said it was fixed. But after driving it approximately seven miles down the road, it was doing it again. So then he fixed part of the vaccum hose, not sure what that is, but he said that should fix the problem. But it is still revving up and idling down when at a stop.

Does anyone have any clue what might be the problem or how to fix it? My girlfriend recently purchased her own car, so I plan to use this Neon to commute to college every day, if I can get it fixed pretty cheap. Thanks in advance for any help given!
Rough Country Level - 305/55 Dick Cepek Fun Country - 20x10 XD Diesel - Smarty - K&N - Air Dog - 4" Straight Pipe to 6" Tip - Turbo Silencer Ring MIA - Husky Liners - Kenwood Crystal Headlights - Truxedo - Bushwacker Flares
Sponsored links