View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 11:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine: 2002-2012 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:10
jared.diaz512 is on a distinguished road
Default Misfire Cylinder #1, Failing Compression Test

So I bought my Dodge Ram a few years ago. It's a 2006 V6 Ram 1500 with 76,000 miles on it. It was used with 45,000 miles on it when I bought it, so I don't know what the previous owner did with it but I've always been on the up and up with the maintenance.

Anyway, I started getting a check engine light starting a couple months ago, and I finally got around to getting it checked out and it was a Cylinder 1 Misfire. I started with the lowest level of maintenance and worked my way up because I'm cheap. Spark plugs, ignition coil, wiring, etc. Anyway, the mechanic told me over the phone that they did a compression test and they could hear the air leaking and that they could start working on it but it would be about $1,700 to $2,200 to fix it, depending on what I wanted to do. I told them to hold off and that I'd talk to them about it tomorrow.

Anyway, I'm just getting my thoughts lined out before I go in tomorrow to talk to them about it. I figured I'd ask if they did the dry/wet compression test and what the differences were, if they tested the adjacent cylinders, and if they wanted to do a leak down test and if I could be present when they do it. I'm thinking I'll get the diagnostics out of the way, get a short subscription to All Data DIY and just make it a weekend project if it's something as "simple" as a leaky head gasket, injection valve or exhaust valve.

A cylinder shouldn't be leaking past the piston ring after only 76,000 miles, should it? If that's the case, do you think it'd be worth my time fixing it?
Sponsored links