Old 04-02-2014, 10:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: '11 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:63
Bry will become famous soon enough
Default '11 1500 QC Sport 24" KMC Slides. Question.

So, I bit the bullet and bought rims and tires for my 2011 Ram Sport 1500 4x4. I needed new tires anyway as I had 56,000-ish on the OEM Goodyear Wrangler's.

I ordered the KMC Slides in a 24" and put Lion Hart LH-8 305/35/24 rubbers on. I've never heard of this brand, and Google didn't net me too many credible-worthy reviews, so needless to say, they weren't my first choice for tires, but for the price of the rim and tire package I said WTH. The tires will be more of a stop-gap than long-term solution for me, as I plan on going with a more recognizable manufacturer (read: one that I trust). I am a firm believer in the idea that you get what you pay for, and I don't like skimping on tires. They're just too important.

I was concerned with that wide of a tire rubbing on the control arm, and I can report that they do rub ever so slightly at full lock, and only at full lock. For the time being, I'm not going to worry about it for the simple fact that in the 3 years I've owned the truck, yesterday was the first time I ever had to fully turn left or right, and that was just to see if they rubbed.

For those of you still reading, here's my question

On to my bigger concern. When I ordered the package, the tires came mounted, and supposedly balanced. Prior to having the local tire shop mount them up, I had them throw them on a high speed balancer just to make sure. Dude said they were fine. They feel fine up to around 55 mph. At 55-ish, a tiny shimmy starts, gradually increasing as the speed increases. To me, this says the tires aren't balanced like they should be. Am I correct in thinking that they need to be balanced again? If so, has anyone ever used the dyna beads from Innovative Balancing on our trucks? I am a firm believer in their ability to correctly balance, and have used the dyna beads in a couple of cars, and on all of my motorcycles.

I think it's also worth noting that the shop I had balance and mount did everything in roughly 15 minutes (pulled my 4 stockers, balanced, and installed the 4 new ones). I'm also not ruling out the possibility that it's just the Lion Hart tires, however I feel that if there was a problem with any one of them, the problem would also occur below 55 mph.

Any opinions/suggestions? For those of you who don't like reading novels:

Cliff's Notes:

-2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport 4x4
-24" KMC Slides
-305/35/24 Lion Hart LH-8 tire Load rating: 112V XL (stock GY 20's are 114S)
-42 PSI in each
-Shimmy starts at 55-ish mph and increases as speed increases
-tires were new, but not sure how old. However, they did to appear to be in new condition.

TIA for any help!
Sponsored links