01-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep Power: 15
INSTRUMENT PANEL ASSEMBLY
WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AN AIRBAG, Refer to PASSIVE RESTRAINT SYSTEMS BEFORE ATTEMPTING AIRBAG SYSTEM OR STEERING WHEEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.
- Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
- Remove the left and right cowl side panel trim.
- Remove the knee blocker as described in this group.
- Remove the two screws securing the inside hood release handle to the lower instrument panel support.
- Remove the screw securing the parking brake release handle to the lower instrument panel support.
- Remove the six retaining screws and the lower instrument panel support.
- Unplug the airbag wiring connector at the lower left corner of the instrument panel.
- Pull the gearshift selector (PRND21) indicator cable and twist to remove it from the position arm on the steering column.
- Push tab on bottom of cable retainer up then squeeze sides to remove retainer from column.
- Remove the tilt steering column lever, if equipped.
- Remove the upper and lower shrouds from the steering column.
- Remove the lower fixed steering column shroud.
- Loosen the multi-function switch connector screw. The screw will remain in the connector. Remove the multi-function switch connector.
- Remove the other steering column connectors.
- Remove airbag wiring harness from the steering column wiring trough.
- Remove the wiring trough from the steering column.
- Remove the three steering column toe plate nuts and washers.
- Remove the two nuts and washers attaching the steering column bracket to the instrument panel steering column support bracket
- Lower the steering column and allow it to rest on the seat.
- Remove the two screws from the bottom of the Airbag Control Module (ACM) cover.
- Remove the four screws holding the ACM to the transmission tunnel on the floor.l
- Disconnect the wiring at the ACM.
- Disconnect the wiring connectors at the left end of the instrument panel.
- Remove the screw holding the parking brake release to the bottom of the instrument panel.
- Disconnect the wiring connectors at the right end of the instrument panel. There are:
- Two connectors attached to the heater-A/C housing
- Courtesy lamp connector
- Antenna cable connector
- Two body harness connectors
- Vacuum harness for heater-A/C system.
- Remove the five screws holding the instrument panel to the dash panel.
- Remove the lower center instrument panel mounting screw.
- Loosen the lower instrument panel pivot bolts.
- Roll the instrument panel down.
- Using a screwdriver or pointed tool, push through the plastic flashing to release the locking tab on heater-A/C temperature control cable.
- Pull the temperature control cable from the top of the heater-A/C housing.
- Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle.
- Reverse the removal procedures to install. Be certain that all wiring and hoses are not pinched. Refer to Restraint Systems before connecting the battery negative cable. Tighten the hardware as follows:
- Instrument panel upper mounting screws - 3 N·m (28 in. lbs.)
- Instrument panel pivot bolts - 12 N·m (110 in. lbs.)
- Steering column shroud screws - 2 N·m (17 in. lbs.)
- Steering column bracket nuts - 12 N·m (110 in. lbs.)
- Toe plate nuts - 23 N·m (200 in. lbs.)
- Multi-function switch connector screw - 2 N·m (17 in. lbs.)
- ACM mounting bolts - 11 N·m (105 in. lbs.)