Old 02-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Travis is on a distinguished road
Default How bad are the auto's in a 2nd gen ram?

I have a 99 ram 1500 sport, auto, 3 inch suspension lift, going to do the 360 engine swap, when we don't have a ton of snow here in west virginia. The truck had the auto trans rebuilt about 800 miles before I got it. New lines were run to avoid the check valve, as well as an after market trans cooler. I have always had a manual trans in all my vehilcles, and I am quite hesitant to put a lot of money in this truck as it is an auto, and everything I have read doesn't seem to favorable for them.
How reliable are these trans? I know it depends on type of driving, but the truck will get the occational offroad trip, towing a car trailer with a car, and probably hauling a 4 wheeler around as well. Will the trans hold up to this kind of abuse, or should I get a truck with a 5 speed? Also, if I do keep it, is an advance auto torque converter ok, or would there be a better place to get one that isn't 4 or 5 hundred dollars? Sorry about the long post, just wanting some more info about the reliablily with these transmissions. I am also planning to run 33x12.50 tires.

Thanks.
Sponsored links