Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4 x 4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Smitty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyGSD View Post
The wife and I went down to PA last weekend to visit the inlaws only to have their dogs jump up on the side of my truck! Now I have some nice long scratches down my rear driver's side door. Looks like the scratches are mostly just in the clearcoat. On my next days off I was planning on detailing the truck. Here's the process I was going to use:

1. Wash/dry
2. Compound the scratches out
3. Clay bar
4. Wash/dry again
5. Wax

Does this sound about right? I've never used a clay bar, but it sounds like an easy task.
When you say compound the scratches out, I assume you mean by hand? If so I would try and avoid abrasive rubbing compounds that you apply by hand. The uneven and often aggressive nature in which most people apply these products often does more harm than good. These products will often remove the scratch with the abrasives, however leave thousands of smaller scratches behind. Usually people will apply a wax to the hazy area which they compounded, only to be disappointed when that area always looks dull again after a few washes. The only proper way to remove scratches is with a rotary polisher and a selection of progressively finer compounds and glazes.