View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
RAMpage is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98sst View Post
Well when you put it in 2, your truck will only use 1st and 2nd gear. if your going 45, I would have it in "2" and just go from there. Im positive that is out of range for 1st gear at that speed. When you top out 2nd (My 2nd tops at about 75-80, not sure about yours) then put it into "D".

Basically, the launch method that I suggested gets the drivetrain prepared for the launch. By doing so, your engine can start closer to it's peak torque and horsepower. Try doing this with your ESP off, it might take practice seeing as you have a hemi.

What kind of tires do you have? Stock? Also be aware of the conditions. If it's wet, I can tell you from experience, the Corvette will be jerking like HELL due to its traction system. all 400 horses will just want to kick it out in 1st, 2nd and even 3rd gear.

So yeah, practice that launch and see how it works.
Stock tires (unfortunately). But if it's any consolation, his tires are pretty worn down (he's got an affinity for burning out... a lot).

I know my first gear (when launching) goes all the way up to 5500-6000 rpms at 45 mph before shifting to second, but I don't know whay the speed is when it shifts from 2 to 3.

Sorry if this is redundant, but it really doesn't hurt the transmission all that much to shift through gears manually in an auto... without a clutch? Wow. Thanks for the advice.