View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
jbeanes is on a distinguished road
Angry Bad vibes in '02 1500 4WD

My truck started with a bad vibration after about 115K miles. At first it felt like a rim that may be out of round, or a really bad tire out of balance, slipped belt, etc. I had everything rotated and balanced several times trying to find the problem. I even replaced the tires with 4 new. The vibration never moved or changed magnitude through this entire process. I had the drive shaft checked and it's fine. Somewhere along the line we replaced the ball joints just because it was time - they were not considered a suspect. Also, the front end has been aligned several times over the course of the "investigation".

Here's what's been done that I can recall:

1) rotating and balancing tires mulitple times
vibration did not decrease or move to another place

2)Had rims checked for out of round - all SAT
3)Had main drive shaft removed for TIR and balance check. All was sat.
4) Front end aligned
5) Ball joints replaced

The vibration is still there and is getting worse. Sometimes it feels like the vibe gets going and hits a frequency that is a "worst case" resonance and I feel like I need to pull off the interstate. I've read that I should remove the front drive shaft and test drive the truck....in case the FDS is bent or out of balance. The truck used to ride like a dream, now I almost hate to climb in it.
Any suggestions?
JB in NC

Last edited by jbeanes; 04-15-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Sponsored links