View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
armyguy2us is on a distinguished road

Ok, due to the problem I having with my 97 ext cab I so far have replaced the purge valve for the evap system and the air intake located on the back of the throttle body. Mine style sputters after it warms up if I sit at a traffic light too long and is hesatant while accelerating. I have been told it is the fuel pump. I'm hoping that isn't it. Here in 7 weeks we are moving to Ft Sill Oklahoma and my wife will be pulling her car on a tow dolly while I am pulling the horse trailer with my flatbed F350. Kinda got off subject there. Back to the issue at hand, I know that it did not help my truck but from what I am told if it isn't throwing a code then it most likely is the butterflies on the throttle body that need to be cleaned. Make sure that when you buy the carb cleaner it is oxygen sensor and catalytic converter safe. I had to put a new cat on my truck and 299.00 later it got better gas mileage but could have been avoided. My truck has 180,000 miles on it and I am rebuilding it one part at a time, atleast it seems that way. Try cleaning the throttle body and I would suggest to do this while it is running. There agian take it from someone that didn't do it the right way. I had to swap batteries between my 2 truck cause I killed the one in the dodge trying to start it after I sprayed almost the whole can of carb cleaner in it. Technically you will need to take it off to clean it but I really don't have that kind of time on my hands right now. Hope this helps, I need to go fid my lucky hammer to work the dodge with now.