View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default Fuel Pump ?????

I have a '98 Dodge Ram 4x4 5.2L with 214,000 miles. You have a '99. I am going to assume for sake of argument that you have the factory original fuel pump and that your truck has well over 100,000 miles. Point 1: Trucks and Cherokees from this time period are known to have issues with the check valve in the electric fuel pump at about 100,000 miles if not sooner. My friend at work had a Cherokee with this issue. The purpose of the check valve is to hold fuel line pressure. This is why when you start up a truck with fuel injection it instantly roars to life with very little engine cranking. My friend's Cherokee would have to turn over like a half dozen times before it would start. Point 2: My factory original electric fuel pump died at 165,000 miles. I was told that they don't normally last that long. Dodge sells a kit to repair the check valve. But wouldn't it be smarter to put in a new electric fuel pump if you can afford to go that way? Nobody likes to take gas tanks in and out of vehicles. Something to think about.

Last edited by Quiet Lunatic; 05-11-2010 at 02:32 PM.