Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
jimbodean is on a distinguished road
Default CAI + MDS Rasping?

Hey guys, thinking about picking up an AEM Brute Force tomorrow. I've read some really great things about this intake, seems like it's well accepted here, and a big plus is that it's the same unit as the Mopar, but dry. I want dry.

However, one thing is holding me back, big time. My other vehicle, soon to be previous, is a 2008 Charger R/T (first experience with the Hemi, love that engine...). I picked up an AFE Stage 2 for that, and absolutely loved it... at first. A little more throttle response, and a beautiful increase in the roar at WOT. However, whenever MDS kicked in, it just sounded like the damn thing was rasping for air. While the CAI put more emphasis on the exhaust sound, it also put more emphasis on the MDS sound, and I hated that.

I also have a friend who has a 2007 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7, and he picked up a different brand CAI, pretty sure it's an Airaid. His exhibits exactly the same behavior, awesome sound without MDS, brutal with MDS.

I'm wondering if this is also the case with the 2010 Rams. If so, I'm going to have to pass on a CAI. I'm looking at getting a Predator, but I'm not interested in disabling MDS. A lot of my driving is during rush hour, so I need all the help I can get with MPGs, lol. I'd rather keep the stock intake than disable MDS.

I tried searching the forum and couldn't find any mention of this, so I'm hopeful that the rasping-tick sound is gone now. Anyone feel like providing some insight? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jimbodean; 05-15-2010 at 02:33 AM.
Sponsored links