Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
offroadwonder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doz View Post
But thats the problem, you dont even understand tint. It doesnt reduce your visability by 97% and 65%. Tint is rated to stop light from coming in. It doesnt mean you cannot see out of it but 3%/35%. If that was the case, obviously, I wouldnt be able to drive my truck as it would be pitch black.

Didnt mean to get all defensive, but having someone make comments that are far from the truth is irritating. Ive been driving with limo tint on my vehicles for the last 6 years. The ONLY time it makes a difference is at night, and the difference isnt much. You actually have to pay closer attention to pedestrians and what not and Ive actually started looking for them, bicyclists, other cars/bikes as well since Ive had it like this.

Think of tint as auto-dimming mirrors at night as thats about what it does. Does it mean I cant see things, people, bikes, cars? Not at all. I can still see pedestrians with no reflective gear.
Again, watch your facts. Tint is measured by a percentage of VLT or visual light transmittance. While there is no standard for which portion of the visual light spectrum the tint must be measured at, the manufacturer must be able to prove that their tint will only transmit an average of 3% of the visible light across the measured spectrum. Therefore 97% of the light that would normally be headed for your eye to produce the image you see will be blocked or absorbed by the tint, never reaching your eye.

You are absolutely correct that this has the largest effect during nighttime driving. During the day your pupils constrict, effectively reducing the amount of light that reaches your retina. So when the window tint already blocks out a large portion of the light, your pupils can relax and dilate slightly (much like wearing sunglasses). At night, however, your pupils are already dilated and the window tinting is taking away what little light your eyes already have to work with.

Your auto-dimming mirror comment is an example you should consider. The mirrors react to the light of headlights much like the pupils in your eyes would. They reduce the amount of light from a sudden light source to minimize glare and eye strain. When the headlights go away, the mirrors deactivate and allow as much light as possible to be transmitted to your eyes. There are high end window tintings available that do the same thing. They electronically reduce VLT during periods of high light, and increase VLT during low light (these are extremely expensive and are built into the glass).

Not to worry, sir, I do understand tinting and the physics of light.

Last edited by offroadwonder; 06-08-2010 at 11:20 PM.