Old 07-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Jet Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:36
mAs is on a distinguished road

Well my friend, where I live we do not require cats so mine was literally chopped out with my trusty old sawzall and replaced with a custom made Y-pipe I welded up myself from some heavy gauge galvanized electrical conduit, its not pretty but it works and sounds MEAN. I drilled a hole in the Y-pipe in the joining area to install the 02 so the computer would not get pissy or ruin my gas milage. It will depend on your year, I have a 94 so i only have a precat sensor to monitor the stoich, if you have the dual sensors you will need a fake 02 for the postcat 02 or the computer will throw codes and from what i read occasionally cause driveability issues.

I don't know if i would run a gutted cat, you create a pressure chamber then, going from like dual 1.75" to like 6" opening back to 2.25" outlet... that is very turbulent and will also sound rather raspy (like a rice box (aka Honda)). I know this from personal experience because I tried that first and did not like the results so made my custom Y-Pipe. I do sheet metal work for a living and own two welders so it was no problem for me, but its not that expensive for an aftermarket Y-pipe from B&M or whatever. like 30bux or so.

I am not too sure about the SLR chip, my cat was all broken up inside and rattled real bad when u tapped it, or gave it a bit of gas. Removing it for me made a modest power gain because there was no more blockage. The exhaust does for sure smell a bit more gassy, but I would expect that with no CAT to clean things up. I don't think it smells gassy because of less back pressure... but I could also be wrong. Just my opinion :>