Old 08-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:69
doz will become famous soon enough
Default HID Install 09/10 RAMS

So I see alot of people wondering if they can install HIDs and if so, how. Well, one of my ballasts died so I had to pull it out today. Figured Id snap some pics, dont mind the dirty truck it needs a bath this weekend. This is the kit from 3bspec (although most are the same I believe).

First, remove the plastic shroud ontop, 6 plastic push tabs. Gently pull them up

Next, remove the 4 - 10mm bolts holding on the front grill. Once those are removed, gently pull from the bottom of the grill out and the 3 push tabs on the bottom will release.

Now remove the 2 - 10mm bolts holding the headlight inplace. **DONT TRY TO PULL THE HEADLIGHT OUT YET!!**

Next goto the wheel well and pull back the cover (its a plastic push pin again). With this removed, you can access the plastic slide that holds the headlight inplace. Push it up (yes, it sounds backwards) to release it. Dont force it if its stuck, just jiggle it a little and itll free up (you can move the headlight a small amount if needed to free it).

With the headlight now removed (just disconnect the plugs, self explanatory), you can install your ballast/relay. I chose to use 3m super strong double sided adhesive tape. It holds well. Be sure to clean BOTH surfaces to ensure no dirt is inbetween. Our trucks have the perfect spot for them to be mounted as well!

Now youll need to install your new bulb and harness into the housing. Youll need to drill about a 1" hole in your headlight bulb access cover as you can see in the pic. Mount the new bulb and insert the connectors as shown into the factory. Also below youll see how to route the wiring harness (from 3bspec site). I taped the connectors to ensure they would stay in place (and to protect the terminals, you can also use some dielectric grease on it as well).

Completed wiring w/ the cap on. It seals up nicely (I havent had any issues with this kit or any others using the supplied grommet).

Next make all your connections, I chose to zip-tie my wires together before I shoved it back in. Be sure your connections are routed to the inside of the headlight so it doesnt hit the frame behind it.

Install everything reverse order. All you need is a 10mm socket and ratchet to complete this as far as tools go. Get some dielectric grease (optional), electrical tape, and a few zip-ties and you are good to go!
DS Trinity w/ Jay Greene Tune (PM for info), S&B Intake, ARH LT Headers, Magnaflow Cat-back, 87mm PTB, BT Catch Can, 180* T-Stat, v6 E-Fan, 5000k RS HID, XD Misfits w/ 35"x12.5"x18", Rancho QL level, 5% tint w/ 35% full windshield
Sponsored links