View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future
Default Prove It!

Lately there's been a lot of debate on what mods will and won't void your warranty. The phrase "the dealer has to prove it caused a problem" has been thrown around quite a bit and I have a couple of thoughts on that.

First and foremost is that it is a lot easier for a dealer to prove a mod (such as a CAI) caused an internal engine problem than it is for a customer to prove that it didn't. Example: we disassemble a worn out engine that's got a CAI installed with low compression on a couple of cylinders. If we find the walls on those cylinders are scratches, it's possible that we could void the warranty based on that, especially if the filter appears dirty. How would you go about proving that the CAI didn't cause this problem?

Now, with that being said, I'll say this - the relationship you have with your dealers service department comes into play in a situation like this. A customer that comes in for regular services in addition to any warranty work will stand a much better chance of getting that problem covered under warranty than the one that only comes in for the $17.95 oil change special or warranty work. Paris is a great example of a customer that keeps a good working relationship with her local service department.

What gets covered and what doesn't can even come down to the technician that is working on your pride and joy. I've worked with guys that will try to void a warranty for anything they can. I typically try to overlook most mods if I'm not 100% sure it caused a problem.

My best advice is to check with the service department you use if there are any questions about a mod you want to do. Some mods are best left alone until the warranty expires unless you con't care about the warranty.

One more thing to keep in mind is that a mod that voids one aspect of your warranty will NOT void the entire warranty. Let's say you put a tuner on your engine. While it can void your powertrain, it's not going to void the warranty on something like your electrical or body. Even with w tuner on an engine, I wouldn't void it for something like a water pump failure.

Warranties are somewhat tricky waters to navigate and these are just a few of my thoughts and do not reflect any official Chrysler policy currently in place.
Sponsored links