Old 09-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: My DD is '97 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:171
rancherman has a spectacular aura aboutrancherman has a spectacular aura about
Default no more 'flappin' in the breeze!

Took the time this morning to tackle that dang driver side mirror!
Had the door panel off yesterday to put in a new latch and striker. (Put new hinges in the door earlier this summer).
I figured there was some sort of friction device to hold the mirror post in a certain place. There is a white plastic friction/bearing that is clamped to the post, and 3 out of the four bolts were in the bottom of the housing.
The main mount is pewter... or some other junk metal.. so of course the threads were pulled out. I found some 3/16" self tapping sheet metal screws to tighten it back up!

here is the mounting all apart. One screw is still in place, holding the clamp for the post.

another shot of mounting..... the white plastic tube you see is the friction bearing the clamp bears against.

These little pieces are pretty important. It is a dogbone key, and spring backing. It is the 'clunk' you feel when the mirror is pulled back into place. There is a slot on the post it indexes with. (I like simple.)

Here it is all screwed back together. Notice the heavier screws now holding the clamp in place. Spent about 1/2 hour on this. A new aftermarket mirror runs about $65.
Not a real 'sexy' post today folks... just a little detailin'
I will think of something a little more 'juicy' for next time

Sponsored links