Vehicle: My DD is '97 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:171
rancherman has a spectacular aura aboutrancherman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipster View Post
I have run FlexFuel in my 2009... Not that impressed. The MPG and Horsepower are affected slightly. On 87 octane, i usually get about 16 MPG city, Ethonal Fuel I get about 14....

Just my casual observation, but I don't use flex and the 5 cents a gallon savings doesn't make much sense to me.
I will agree with you there on the savings!
location location location!!
Here in Nebraska, fuel with 10% alcohol aka gasohol....typically runs 5 cents a gallon less than 'regular'. It runs 89 octane.
now, the E85, which your 'flex fuel' vehicles are designed and tuned to run on... typically runs 65 cents a gallon less.
us alky 'burners' throw MPG out the window. You have to look at it as Miles per dollar. With the nickle difference.....it's a wash for economy. I think there is a slight performance advantage with the higher octane.

I don't own a flex fuel vehicle....(too new for me to own) LOL....but my neighbor has a Chev impala that does. He claims about 1-2 mpg less on the E85 versus the 10% alky. But He does claim higher than with regular unleaded.
With our 65 cent saving....and the 6-7% reduction in actual miles per gallon, It is still advantageous to burn the E85. Im not sure if the higher purchase price on the vehicle will ever 'pay' off in the long run....
As a corn grower..... I like the e85. it helps my bottom line, with higher prices for the grain.
I think in the long run though, growing corn to make fuel is a 'wash' in itself. way way too much fuel is spent to grow the corn, harvest, process, and then ship the alcohol all over the US. I know of other exciting plans being developed right now to 'grow our fuel'.