Old 09-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Ram 2500
Color: Silver, for now
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep:10
MadeInAmerica is on a distinguished road
Default crank position sensor?

hey guys, i'm pretty new to this forum thing, so please bare with me.

i have a question for you guys, and hopefully ya'll can help...

i have a 96 dodge ram 2500 with the v10 magnum and it seems to be haning some engine problems. ever since i bought it, its started kinda hard, i've replaced the throttle positioning sensor, it helped for a little bit, but then it started back up.

i replaced the fuel pump, and that helped a fair amount, but now its starting to do it again, but only every once and awhile.

it also seems to idle roughish, not horrible, but it is noticeable.

the big issues: at speeds between 55 and 60 (and now what seems to be between 55 and 75) the engine shakes so bad, the whole cab shakes. as well, at a low rpm, and a heavy load (IE: going up a semi steep hill at an rpm of roughly 1650 to 1800) the engine shakes and back fires out what sounds like the exhaust. heres the kicker, this only happens in overdrive, and as soon as it down shifts, the shaking and back firing all stops...

it does seem to have some power loss, and worse fuel economy (granted its not a small engine, but 220 miles to a 28ish gallon tank isn't all that great... is this normal for have city have hwy driving, even driving like a granny?!)

the truck has a stored engine code of the crank positioning sensor, so thats why i'm thinking this, and it makes sense.

however there are some other things going on that might take part in my problems, but i'm not sure.

any help would be incredibly helpful, so thank you for any and all help!!! and its great to be here!!!!!!!
Sponsored links