View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipster View Post
I have run FlexFuel in my 2009... Not that impressed. The MPG and Horsepower are affected slightly. On 87 octane, i usually get about 16 MPG city, Ethonal Fuel I get about 14....

Just my casual observation, but I don't use flex and the 5 cents a gallon savings doesn't make much sense to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorhawg View Post
mine has badging on the rear and a yellow gas cap im averaging 11.8mpg with e85 and 14mpg on 10% and havent tried straight gas yet no mods though
These are the first numbers I've seen anyone post on the difference in milage for a ram. That equates to 12-16% reduction in milage per gallon. What you really need then is a 15% or so decrease in cost per gallon to make it economically worth it.

The benefits of E-85 are higher octane, reduction of dependence on forein oil, cleaner burning than straight gas (or 10% blend). Negatives are lower miles to a tank, often not enough price difference to offset the decrease in milage, and it can be hard to find in many areas.

Also contrary to popular belife, because ethanol is water soluble and combustable, it draws water and other moisture out of your fuel system. It's like running some dry gas all the time.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.