View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch1 View Post
I have used clay bar for a few years now.It takes the contaminants off the paint.If you do use a clay bar then the next step is to polish the vehicle.It gets the paint ready for the final step of wax. You will see the difference when you do use the polish..I get my detailing stuff from proper auto care online and they give you all the info on keeping your auto like new and all the accessories you need to purchase to keep it like that....Enjoy....
I should bump this for a few reasons.

First is the fact that the clay bar process is often overlooked. Many complaints about product durability boil down to surface prep. For the enthusiasts who likes to wax their vehicle often, but have never clayed, it would be my first recommendation. Like Dutch said, follow the claying with a polish. Even if you don't have polisher, you can pick up products like scratchX or swirlx which will do a decent job of preping the surface. Autoglym Super Resin Polish will do similar, but also add some protection.

Second is that Proper Auto Care is an excellent source for detailing products. It carries similar products as Autogeek, but is much more customer oriented [in my experience with both]. Truthindetailing is their forum which is loaded with detailing information as well.